Monday, May 18, 2009

Calzones

My favorite book: Miserly Meals- I have checked it out of the library four or five times, always renewing it a few times. I found this recipe:

Calzones- serves 6
Dough:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 T. oil
  • 2 1/4 tsp(or 1 pkg.) dry yeast
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt

Filling:

  • 8 oz. chicken breast, cooked and diced
  • 2 T. water chestnuts, drained and diced
  • 1 T. chopped onion
  • 2 T. mayonnaise
  • 2 T. sour cream
  • 1/4 tsp. celery salt

Combine dough ingredients in a bread machine or by hand. Divide dough into 6 balls. Roll each into a 6-7 inch circle on a floured surface.

In a separate bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Place 1/6th of the filling in center of the dough circle, fold in half, and pinch edges shut. Repeat with other circles. Place the calzones on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Megans notes: I first made this with ham instead of chicken. Combine any meat, cheese, tofu, eggs and spices to make the filling. Keep the liquid to a minimum to avoid soggy dough.

Also, my kids weren't into this, of course, so I made up the dough into 6 individual pizza crusts and I had them top their own pizza, and they ate almost the whole thing. I think I could make two or three bigger crusts for bigger pizza's, but the individual size works real well for us. Very yummy dough. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment