Saturday, January 24, 2009

Italian Sausage Sandwiches

My family loves these sandwiches, they are not the healthiest(you could probably substitute ground turkey sausage), but are great for a quick and easy meal. Oh, as a variation to the recipe, we like to somewhat hollow out the top part of the hoagie roll before adding the filling so it closes when filled up.


Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 can black olives sliced
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
  • 4 French or hoagie rolls, split
  • 4 slices Mozzarella cheese

Preparation:

Italian Sausage Sandwich Directions
Crumble the Italian sausage into a skillet (if not bulk sausage, remove casings). Add chopped onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until sausage is thoroughly cooked; pour off excess fat. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Place roll bottoms on a paper towel-lined plates. Spoon some sausage mixture into hollowed out top. Top each with a slice of cheese and the bottom of the roll. Microwave, uncovered, on 100% power for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until cheese is just melted. Or, place foil-wrapped Italian sausage sandwiches on baking sheet and bake in at 350° for about 15 to 20 minutes. Italian sausage sandwich serves 4.

We prefer these made in the oven, but I left the microwave for those of you who prefer that method of cooking.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I am going to have to put hoagie rolls on my list this week. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I made this Saturday night. I think when I used to make it I used tomato paste, not sauce. I think personally I prefer the paste, it wasn't so saucy and had a sharper tomato flavor. The kids loved it and said this was like eating a pizza on a bun. It was still good, but you may want to try it both ways to see what you prefer!

    ReplyDelete